Lead

Aug 10 04 5:04 AM

Tags : :

Is Rizal deserving of our adoration and respect? Should he be our primary national hero or is he already outmoded?

Or we should honor others instead such as Andres Bonifacio, Emilio Aguinaldo, or Mabini or even Juan Luna?
Quote    Reply   

#1 [url]

Aug 10 04 5:26 AM

FYI lang po,
No law, executive order or proclamation has been enacted or issued officially proclaiming any Filipino historical figure as a national hero. However, because of their significant roles in the process of nation building and contributions to history, there were laws enacted and proclamations issued honoring these heroes.

Even Jose Rizal, considered as the greatest among the Filipino heroes, was not
explicitly proclaimed as a national hero.
The position he now holds in Philippine history is a tribute to the continued veneration or acclamation of the people in recognition of his contribution to the significant social transformations that took place in our country.

1. Aside from Rizal, the only other hero given an implied recognition as a national hero is Andres Bonifacio whose day of birth on November 30 has been made a national holiday.

2. Despite the lack of any official declaration explicitly proclaiming them as national heroes, they remain admired and revered for their roles in Philippine history.

Heroes, according to historians, should not be legislated. Their appreciation
should be better left to academics

as for my opinion, its till Rizal whose life philosophy deserves to be recognized and for me deserves the highest honour.

Quote    Reply   

#2 [url]

Aug 10 04 5:35 AM

QUOTE (storm @ Aug 10 2004, 05:26 AM)
FYI,
No law, executive order or proclamation has been enacted or issued officially
proclaiming any Filipino historical figure as a national hero. However, because of their
significant roles in the process of nation building and contributions to history, there were
laws enacted and proclamations issued honoring these heroes.
Even Jose Rizal, considered as the greatest among the Filipino heroes, was not
explicitly proclaimed as a national hero.
The position he now holds in Philippine history
is a tribute to the continued veneration or acclamation of the people in recognition of his
contribution to the significant social transformations that took place in our country.
1. Aside from Rizal, the only other hero given an implied recognition as a national
hero is Andres Bonifacio whose day of birth on November 30 has been made a national
holiday.
2. Despite the lack of any official declaration explicitly proclaiming them as national
heroes, they remain admired and revered for their roles in Philippine history.

Heroes, according to historians, should not be legislated. Their appreciation
should be better left to academics

According to agoncillo's philippine history emergency edition, the first philippine commonwealth congress (under the americans) was naming national symbols. the carabao, the maya, the anahaw, etc. passed without so much ado. when the question of naming the national hero was the agenda only two names were hotly debated... the dead bonifacio and the living aguinaldo. as much time has passed and congress deadlocked on the issue, the onaks (probably fearing a war hero as a symbol might inflame nationalist passions) put forth rizal as the national hero. congress then accepted this 'compromise' and went on to declare a "pacifist" as the national hero of pinas. probably the only national hero na hindi war hero. tambayan/thmbup.gif

Quote    Reply   

#3 [url]

Aug 10 04 5:52 AM

ang sabi ko lang naman po sa info na nilagay ko is OFFICIALLY proclaimed... becoz according to congress wala po silang pinoproclaim or dinedeclared na phil nat'l hero phil. heroes are only acclaimed and appreciated on phil history subjects (academics)

BUT its just for our info...para lang po malinaw tayo... muli po kasing binuksan yan isssue na yan ni FVR. On March 28, 1993, President Fidel V. Ramos issued Executive Order No.75 entitled “Creating the National Heroes Committee Under the Office of the President”. The principal duty of the Committee is to study, evaluate and recommend Filipino national personages/heroes in due recognition of their sterling character and remarkable achievements for the country.

On November 15, 1995, the Technical Committee after deliberation and careful study based on Dr. Onofre D. Corpuz’ and Dr. Alfredo Lagmay’s criteria selected the following nine Filipino historical figures to be recommended as National Heroes:
a. Jose Rizal
b. Andres Bonifacio
c. Emilio Aguinaldo
d. Apolinario Mabini
e. Marcelo H. del Pilar
f. Sultan Dipatuan Kudarat
g. Juan Luna
h. Melchora Aquino
i. Gabriela Silang

Since the submission of the report/recommendations by the National Heroes Committee to then Secretary Ricardo T. Gloria of the Department of Education, Culture and Sports on November 22, 1995, no action has been taken. This was probably because this might trigger a flood of requests for proclamations. Another possibility is that the proclamations can trigger bitter debates involving historical controversies about the heroes.

INSTEAD LAWS were made to honor/commemorate phil. historical figures. thats why we have the rizal day, bonifacio day etc...

BUt still sinagot ko din po ang tanong mo ayun sa taas niedit ko eh tambayan/birgits_giggle.gif

Quote    Reply   

#4 [url]

Aug 10 04 5:57 AM

another thing... may proclamation man or wala... still pinag-aralan ko sila sa school... at saludo ako sa kanilang lahat. sila pa rin isa sa kumakatawan sa ating kasaysayan kaya tayo malaya.

ang nasa itaas lang po ay isang dagdag kaalaman, para po malinaw sa ating lahat. hindi ko ito ipinipilit...

Quote    Reply   

#5 [url]

Aug 10 04 5:58 AM

you two really bring to the table an interesting point of view...especially for those of us who somehow had lost touch with our nation's history hope more people would join in & see what they have to offer tambayan/thmbup.gif un lang po

Quote    Reply   

#6 [url]

Aug 10 04 6:47 AM

QUOTE (storm @ Aug 10 2004, 05:57 AM)
another thing... may proclamation man or wala... still pinag-aralan ko sila sa school... at saludo ako sa kanilang lahat. sila pa rin isa sa kumakatawan sa ating kasaysayan kaya tayo malaya.

ang nasa itaas lang po ay isang dagdag kaalaman, para po malinaw sa ating lahat. hindi ko ito ipinipilit...

Dats my girl! Okie Dokie! tambayan/thmbup.gif

Quote    Reply   

#7 [url]

Aug 10 04 6:48 AM

QUOTE (catburglar @ Aug 10 2004, 05:58 AM)
you two really bring to the table an interesting point of view...especially for those of us who somehow had lost touch with our nation's history hope more people would join in & see what they have to offer tambayan/thmbup.gif un lang po

Yup! I hope so.

Quote    Reply   

#8 [url]

Aug 10 04 6:52 AM

Rizal once made an observation and was corrected by his friends.

They told him not to pass judgement on the passed with todays standards rather use the standards of that time in your judgement.

Rizal was a hero in his time and still is to many, let us not make judgements with present standards, and let us not repeat the mistakes of the past. tambayan/thmbup.gif

Quote    Reply   

#9 [url]

Aug 10 04 12:32 PM

Jose Rizal , being a National Hero no doubt. Even in the Malay peninsula, Rizal's name and heroism has marked him as a famous and inspiration to others.
I remember my former Malay boss in Malaysia used to tell me that he idolize JPR for his talent, bravery and being an intellectual. He also told me that during the time of the British Commonwealth in the Malay peninsula, the Malays were inspired of Rizal's works writings, and when he was executed, they considered him as champion for freedom in Asia.
Until before I left my office in Malaysia, whenever I go to my boss's office, in his bookshelf is a small statue or bust of JPR , his books and other Rizal stuff he bought from th PI.

Quote    Reply   

#10 [url]

Aug 11 04 1:16 AM

QUOTE (kelot_ni_balot @ Aug 10 2004, 12:32 PM)
Jose Rizal , being a National Hero no doubt. Even in the Malay peninsula, Rizal's name and heroism has marked him as a famous and inspiration to others.
I remember my former Malay boss in Malaysia used to tell me that he idolize JPR for his talent, bravery and being an intellectual. He also told me that during the time of the British Commonwealth in the Malay peninsula, the Malays were inspired of Rizal's works writings, and when he was executed, they considered him as champion for freedom in Asia.
Until before I left my office in Malaysia, whenever I go to my boss's office, in his bookshelf is a small statue or bust of JPR , his books and other Rizal stuff he bought from th PI.

The Philippines is the only country to have a national hero who did not directly participate in an armed revolt.

The Americans played a big part in choosing Rizal as the national hero. Avoiding to set a revolutionary figure that might lead to more armed struggles.

Thanks for sharing your ideas. tambayan/thmbup.gif

Quote    Reply   

#12 [url]

Aug 12 04 7:29 AM

QUOTE (Eraserheads @ Aug 11 2004, 01:16 AM)
The Philippines is the only country to have a national hero who did not directly participate in an armed revolt.

Where did you get that info dude? As far as I know, India and Portugal have national heroes respectively named Mahatma Gandhi and Luis Vaz de Camões, who both believed that the pen is mightier than the sword....just like Jose Rizal.

I drink, I smoke and had casual sex.... But I'm not a bad guy, Hitler is the bad guy

Quote    Reply   

#13 [url]

Aug 12 04 9:43 AM

Or we should honor others instead such as Andres Bonifacio, Emilio Aguinaldo, or Mabini or even Juan Luna?

Andres Bonifacio?

"Ang kasaysayan ay nababago habang lumilipas ang panahon."

Bayani nga bang maituturing si Bonifacio? Isang tulisang mainit ang ulo, walang pinagwagiang laban, nanunog ng ilang bayan at simbahan, at sapilitang nanguha ng bigas, alagang baboy, manok, at iba pang hayop ng ating kababayan ay ilan lamang sa mga katampalasan ng itinuturing natin bayani ngayon.

Juan Luna?

Walang dudang nagbigay-dangal sa ating bansa sa husay niya sa pagpinta at walang duda rin sa kamanyakan. Ginusto pang magsulat ng aklat patungkol sa karikitan ng mga kababaihan kaysa tulungan si Pepe (Rizal) sa pagtuligsa sa mga pang-aabuso ng mga mananakop sa ating bansa.

Esto Dignus. Be Worthy. Maging Karapat-dapat.

Quote    Reply   

#14 [url]

Aug 14 04 4:37 AM

QUOTE (walangkakwentakwenta @ Aug 12 2004, 07:29 AM)

Where did you get that info dude? As far as I know, India and Portugal have national heroes respectively named Mahatma Gandhi and Luis Vaz de Camões, who both believed that the pen is mightier than the sword....just like Jose Rizal.

I guess u r right dude... Sorry for the imprecise of my info. Thanks. tambayan/thmbup.gif

Quote    Reply   

#15 [url]

Aug 14 04 4:39 AM

QUOTE (ShamaN_KinG @ Aug 12 2004, 09:43 AM)

Andres Bonifacio?

"Ang kasaysayan ay nababago habang lumilipas ang panahon."

Bayani nga bang maituturing si Bonifacio? Isang tulisang mainit ang ulo, walang pinagwagiang laban, nanunog ng ilang bayan at simbahan, at sapilitang nanguha ng bigas, alagang baboy, manok, at iba pang hayop ng ating kababayan ay ilan lamang sa mga katampalasan ng itinuturing natin bayani ngayon.

Juan Luna?

Walang dudang nagbigay-dangal sa ating bansa sa husay niya sa pagpinta at walang duda rin sa kamanyakan. Ginusto pang magsulat ng aklat patungkol sa karikitan ng mga kababaihan kaysa tulungan si Pepe (Rizal) sa pagtuligsa sa mga pang-aabuso ng mga mananakop sa ating bansa.

Hmmm... I never taught of that... Let me have a research about that.

Quote    Reply   

#16 [url]

Aug 16 04 7:39 AM

QUOTE (Eraserheads @ Aug 14 2004, 04:37 AM)
QUOTE (walangkakwentakwenta @ Aug 12 2004, 07:29 AM)

I guess u r right dude... Sorry for the imprecise of my info. Thanks. tambayan/thmbup.gif

Not a biggie dude.

I drink, I smoke and had casual sex.... But I'm not a bad guy, Hitler is the bad guy

Quote    Reply   

#17 [url]

Aug 19 04 1:07 AM

EVERYONE THAT SHAPED OUR HISTORY DESERVES OUR RESPECT...
BE IT RIZAL, BONIFACIO, AGUINALDO, LAPU-LAPU, MARCOS, ERAP OR JOSE PIDAL, EHEHEHEHEHEHE!!!!

MAY ISA LANG AKONG KATANUNGANG MATAGAL NANG UMUUKILKIL SA AKING ISIPAN... YUNG MGA GINAWA BA NILA NOON AY BUKAL SA KALOOBAN NILA O NAPILITAN LANG SILA? YOU KNOW, THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE IN DOING A DEED AND DOING IT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE... LET'S LOOK BEYOND HISTORY BOOKS AND HUMAN PSYCHE, THERE'S MORE TO IT THAT WE WILL NEVER FIND AN ANSWER TO...

BUT HERO OR NO HERO, THE FACT THAT THEY MADE A DIFFERENCE IS MORE THAN ENOUGH TO GET OUR ADULATION...

Quote    Reply   

#18 [url]

Aug 21 04 4:40 AM

QUOTE (hardtohandle @ Aug 19 2004, 01:07 AM)
EVERYONE THAT SHAPED OUR HISTORY DESERVES OUR RESPECT...
BE IT RIZAL, BONIFACIO, AGUINALDO, LAPU-LAPU, MARCOS, ERAP OR JOSE PIDAL, EHEHEHEHEHEHE!!!!

MAY ISA LANG AKONG KATANUNGANG MATAGAL NANG UMUUKILKIL SA AKING ISIPAN... YUNG MGA GINAWA BA NILA NOON AY BUKAL SA KALOOBAN NILA O NAPILITAN LANG SILA? YOU KNOW, THERE IS A BIG DIFFERENCE IN DOING A DEED AND DOING IT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE... LET'S LOOK BEYOND HISTORY BOOKS AND HUMAN PSYCHE, THERE'S MORE TO IT THAT WE WILL NEVER FIND AN ANSWER TO...

BUT HERO OR NO HERO, THE FACT THAT THEY MADE A DIFFERENCE IS MORE THAN ENOUGH TO GET OUR ADULATION...

Hmmm... you have a big point there dude.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help